Ticker

Monday, February 21, 2011

Less IS More

I knew forced mindfulness would happen.  I was looking forward to it.  Today begins my change to mushy, well-chewed, pudding-texture foods.  I started experimenting a little early at Rosita's Family Mexican restaurant last night.  I ordered a side of refried beans and guacamole and had about 1/4 - 1/3 cup total volume for my meal that lasted as long as my family members who ordered enchiladas and burrito plates.  What a joy to have a taste other than a sweet protein drink.  The beans where silky with just a bit of texture.  My job was to eliminate that texture before I swallowed so as not to dislodge or irritate Quatto in anyway.  Voila..suddenly very mindful of what was in my mouth, where it was inside my mouth, judging if I should swallow, noticing flavors, and being, well, what they say we should all be when we eat:  mindful.  Delightful!

Today featured about a 1/2 cup of soft tofu in a kimchi broth at Olympus spa.  Again, complete mindfulness. There was so much more nuance to the soup than I ever would have noticed before.  When you're analyzing when it's properly time to swallow, you get to taste every bit of your food on every bit of your tongue.  Now, how often does that happen in real life?  Again, delightful!

I think the bits and tastes of solid foods in the past 24 hours, have been more satisfying and certainly more enjoyable than the last two weeks of of pre-surgery celebratory, "good bye to food" eating.  Maybe it is all about quality and not about quantity.

No comments:

Post a Comment