Ticker

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Recent E-Conversation... (Three Weeks Post Surgery)

Kim, Let's put all your research and experience to work! I need a favor. I have a lot of patients that need the kind of help that you yourself have sought out for conscious eating. Do you have references, groups, etc that you'd suggest?  Thanks!!  - K

Thanks for asking, K, I’m doing great!  Started working out at the gym again this week after an almost six week hiatus (blah!!!!) and the only thing that’s a little trouble is lying down on a mat and holding position on a training bike for more than 20 minutes.  The little port that is sewn into my upper abs is still a little sore and likely has another 2-3 weeks before it’s completely healed. 

My first fill is on the 16th  and I’m quite looking forward to it since I can (and want) to eat everything and I’ve had lots of night-time and emotional eating urges return.  I can’t say they are at the forefront of my brain, but as I get tired and especially at the end of the day, I want that “release” that food so faithfully provides.  So, onwards towards lifestyle and mental changes that prevent some of the needs for those “big releases” at the end of the day.  How about a bunch of little releases accomplished via means other than food?  Onwards, I say. 

And tying in the above to your question, here are my greatest resources for lifestyles and mental health changes:

Greenlake Nutritionhttp://www.greenlakenutrition.com/  Specifically their women’s emotional eating support group.   The counselors are excellent and the prices are right.  New group starting in two weeks!


Nourishing Wisdomhttp://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Wisdom-Mind-Body-Nutrition-Well-Being/dp/0517881292?&camp=212361&linkCode=wey&tag=myqua04-20&creative=391825   When I started studying how the mind and body interact and how emotions come into play while eating, this book was helpful in sorting everything out.

The Work of Byron Katie:  http://www.thework.com/index.php  This is the real mental work I do to find out what’s going on inside my head and to release suffering.  Super good.  Hard to get at first, but it works really well for folks who respond well to the cognitive behavioral therapy approach, which I do.

Anything by Karen Koenig:  She’s a great CB therapist who writes crisp, enlightening books and articles on eating normally.  Love her.  Love her books.  Anything she writes is excellent.  http://www.eatingnormal.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment